- Mom jailed over refusing son's circumcision makes tough call 2015-05-29 11:56
- Kerry sued over Hillary Clinton’s emails 2015-05-29 09:42
- A Website That Lets You Spy On Millions of People 2015-05-29 02:18
- Social Revolution In Ireland: 62% of Irish Voters Say YES To Gay Marriage 2015-05-29 02:11
- Killer robots will leave humans ‘utterly defenceless’ warns professor 2015-05-29 00:35
- Russian Air Force to Get at Least 50 New Strategic Tu-160 Blackjack Bombers 2015-05-29 00:21
- Chicago cops posed with black suspect wearing deer antlers 2015-05-28 13:40
UN Mission mandate issue to be solved before February 15th2009-02-04 13:28
The UN Security Council plans to solve the issue of mandate and name of the former UN mission in Georgia before end next week, said, the UNSC Chairman, the Permanent Representative of Japan, Yuki Takaso yesterday. - RIA Novosti.gt-en-newsitem-inside
The former UN Observer Mission in Georgia , working both in the territory of Georgia and Abkhazia, was named "The UN Mission" without any territorial definition in the latest UNSC resolution, prolonging its mandate for four months. The mandate expires on February 15th.
The Security Council consultations on this issue will be held next Tuesday (Febraury 10th ), the meeting and, possibly, the resolution adoption must be conducted on February 13th or a day earlier, as the Mission mandate expires on February 15th (on Sunday), Takaso said.
Otherwise the UN Mission presence in Caucus will be curtailed or suspended until the UNSC finds the decision on this issue.
According to Takaso, there is no agreement on the name of the mission and contents of the mandate among the UNSC members.
"The consultations around the title of the mission and the resolution document are still underway in the Security Council. We have not agreed our positions yet, however, we hope that we`ll be able to find a compromise by the end of the week ", the UNSC Chairman mentioned.