- Mom jailed over refusing son's circumcision makes tough call 2015-05-29 11:56
- Kerry sued over Hillary Clinton’s emails 2015-05-29 09:42
- A Website That Lets You Spy On Millions of People 2015-05-29 02:18
- Social Revolution In Ireland: 62% of Irish Voters Say YES To Gay Marriage 2015-05-29 02:11
- Killer robots will leave humans ‘utterly defenceless’ warns professor 2015-05-29 00:35
- Russian Air Force to Get at Least 50 New Strategic Tu-160 Blackjack Bombers 2015-05-29 00:21
- Chicago cops posed with black suspect wearing deer antlers 2015-05-28 13:40
CoE Human Rights Commissioner arrived in Abkhazia2009-02-09 17:30
Council of Europe Human Rights Commissioner, Thomas Hammarberg, arrived in Abkhazia to acknowledge the human rights situation in the region - RosBalt.gt-en-newsitem-inside
A the meeting with Sergey Shamba, the Foreign Minister of Abkhazia , he said the commission is the independent body in the Council of Europe, and human rights protection is one of its interests. Hammarberg added he would like to learn the situation in the region from the Minister.
Hammarberg said the commission did much to render aid to the population of South Ossetia and overcome the consequences of the August crisis. He highlighted he would like to learn the effect of the August events on the human rights sphere in Abkhazia, at site.
The Commissioner said that after the visit the report will be made to contribute the further discussions. Hammarberg mentioned that at the meeting with Sergey Lavrov, the Foreign Minister of Russia, in Moscow, issues connected with the Georgian-Ossetian conflict were discussed.
Shamba, in his turn, told about the situation in Abkhazia and the initiatives of the Abkhazian side to settle the conflict.