- Mom jailed over refusing son's circumcision makes tough call 2015-05-29 11:56
- Kerry sued over Hillary Clinton’s emails 2015-05-29 09:42
- A Website That Lets You Spy On Millions of People 2015-05-29 02:18
- Social Revolution In Ireland: 62% of Irish Voters Say YES To Gay Marriage 2015-05-29 02:11
- Killer robots will leave humans ‘utterly defenceless’ warns professor 2015-05-29 00:35
- Russian Air Force to Get at Least 50 New Strategic Tu-160 Blackjack Bombers 2015-05-29 00:21
- Chicago cops posed with black suspect wearing deer antlers 2015-05-28 13:40
Joachim Gauck is the new president of Germany2012-03-19 13:17
New president of Germany is 72-year-old pastor and human rights activist Joachim Gauck.gt-en-newsitem-inside
As reported by the Pravda.ru, 72-year-old pastor and human rights activist Joachim Gauck has become the new President of Germany. 991 member of the Federal Assembly, consisting of MPs and representatives of federal lands, voted for his candidacy. Gauck's rival, a journalist Beate Klarsfeld, has scored only 126 votes.
According to the edition, two years ago, Chancellor Angela Merkel did not support Gauck in the presidential election, and that time Christian Wulff became the head of state. He was forced to resign after a scandal when he had been accused of misfeasance and financial gain.
Earlier it was reported that at the time of the GDR, Gauck was a pastor in Rostock. He also was famous for his human rights activities and environmental protection. After the fall of the Berlin Wall, he was authorized to work with the archives of "Stasi". In 2010, Gauck ran for the presidency, but that time the deputies voted for Wulff.
Recall, the head of state in Germany has no great power, but enjoys the prominent informal influence. "This man can give us important impulses during all kinds of challenges and strengthen the credibility to democracy", Merkel said about Gauck.