- Mom jailed over refusing son's circumcision makes tough call 2015-05-29 11:56
- Kerry sued over Hillary Clinton’s emails 2015-05-29 09:42
- A Website That Lets You Spy On Millions of People 2015-05-29 02:18
- Social Revolution In Ireland: 62% of Irish Voters Say YES To Gay Marriage 2015-05-29 02:11
- Killer robots will leave humans ‘utterly defenceless’ warns professor 2015-05-29 00:35
- Russian Air Force to Get at Least 50 New Strategic Tu-160 Blackjack Bombers 2015-05-29 00:21
- Chicago cops posed with black suspect wearing deer antlers 2015-05-28 13:40
Georgia ranks first in terms of tourism development in 20112012-06-22 16:24
Georgia is ranked first in the world in terms of tourism development in 2011, according to the report of the UN World Tourism Organization (UNWTO), the Trend reported.gt-en-newsitem-inside
"This fact is very important in terms of attracting the world community to the development of tourism in the country, thus the UNWTO report is a powerful and credible source of information", the head of the National Tourism Agency of Georgia Maia Sidamonidze said.
Earlier, in his speech with the annual report in the Parliament, Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili said that tourism development would help the country and its citizens.
"I understand very well those people who say that the opening of the resorts in Mestia and Batumi has no effect on their lives. We must do everything so that all the citizens could be involved in the development of the country", the president said, appealing to the population from the parliamentary rostrum.
According to the President, one million tourists lead to the creation of 15,000 jobs, and in 2011, Georgia was visited by over three million people.
"Tourists bring revenue and lead to the creation of jobs not only in the service sector, but also in agriculture, construction, and production", he said.
He said that "the success of the country should become a personal success of each citizen". "I'm not going to be satisfied with the files with numbers written in Exel and to be proud of them. For me, the main thing is that the success of the country must become your personal success", the president said.