- Mom jailed over refusing son's circumcision makes tough call 2015-05-29 11:56
- Kerry sued over Hillary Clinton’s emails 2015-05-29 09:42
- A Website That Lets You Spy On Millions of People 2015-05-29 02:18
- Social Revolution In Ireland: 62% of Irish Voters Say YES To Gay Marriage 2015-05-29 02:11
- Killer robots will leave humans ‘utterly defenceless’ warns professor 2015-05-29 00:35
- Russian Air Force to Get at Least 50 New Strategic Tu-160 Blackjack Bombers 2015-05-29 00:21
- Chicago cops posed with black suspect wearing deer antlers 2015-05-28 13:40
The European Union will expand sanctions against Syria2012-06-25 13:21
Today, at the EU meeting in Luxembourg, Foreign Ministers of 27 countries will approve a new package of sanctions against Syria's, the RIA Novosti reported.gt-en-newsitem-inside
This will be the 16th package of sanctions which implies the inclusion of even one individual and five entities of Syria into the "black list" of the EU. Previously, this list consisted of 43 Syrian companies and 128 Syrians. They are deprived the right of entry into the European Union, and their assets in Europe are frozen.
Note that Russia is fundamentally against the use of unilateral economic sanctions as a means of pressure on the state. This was stated by Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov.
"With regard to unilateral economic sanctions as a means of coercion, we stand against the use of such tools in the policy in regard of anyone", Lavrov said.
Russian Foreign Minister stated he was talking about unilateral sanctions, since the sanctions taken collectively within the UN Security Council, were provided by the charter of the organization and were the part of international law.
"But this tool should be used with extreme caution. Unilateral sanctions also tend to lead to only one thing - such issues, they want to solve with the help of the sanctions pressure, get "driven into a corner", the Russian Minister stressed.
"Methods of isolating a partner, without his involvement into the dialogue, are always counterproductive. We prefer at all difficult situations to rely on the engagement and dialogue", Lavrov added.