- Mom jailed over refusing son's circumcision makes tough call 2015-05-29 11:56
- Kerry sued over Hillary Clinton’s emails 2015-05-29 09:42
- A Website That Lets You Spy On Millions of People 2015-05-29 02:18
- Social Revolution In Ireland: 62% of Irish Voters Say YES To Gay Marriage 2015-05-29 02:11
- Killer robots will leave humans ‘utterly defenceless’ warns professor 2015-05-29 00:35
- Russian Air Force to Get at Least 50 New Strategic Tu-160 Blackjack Bombers 2015-05-29 00:21
- Chicago cops posed with black suspect wearing deer antlers 2015-05-28 13:40
The U.S. ambassador praised the bill on cable TV2012-06-29 13:46
The initiative of the Georgian Parliament to include all Georgian TV companies in the cable distribution network in the pre-election period promotes equality in the elections, the U.S. Ambassador to Georgia John Bass said, the News-Georgia reported.gt-en-newsitem-inside
"I cannot comment a particular bill in detail, but I can say that it increases the accessibility to information for citizens and helps to create an equitable environment for individuals and organizations, included in the political process", Bass said.
Recall, in the pre-election period, the Government of Georgia intends to expand the broadcasting of all TV channels. This was announced earlier by the parliament speaker David Bakradze.
"Our mission is to hold free and fair elections; the Georgian legislation has already set a high standard of freedom, access to information, but we want to further improve the standard to make Georgian democracy develop constantly", Bakradze said.
He said that the government was working on new legislative safeguards, according to which before the election, all the political parties and all the TV channels would have the opportunity to present their voice to more people.
"More specifically, it involves broadcasting of television channels via cable television during the election period. This applies to all TV channels; it will be a big step forward to ensure that our people get more information so we can hear any opinion other than acceptable and not acceptable, and ultimately, it helps to hold election in accordance with democratic standards", Bakradze said.