- Mom jailed over refusing son's circumcision makes tough call 2015-05-29 11:56
- Kerry sued over Hillary Clinton’s emails 2015-05-29 09:42
- A Website That Lets You Spy On Millions of People 2015-05-29 02:18
- Social Revolution In Ireland: 62% of Irish Voters Say YES To Gay Marriage 2015-05-29 02:11
- Killer robots will leave humans ‘utterly defenceless’ warns professor 2015-05-29 00:35
- Russian Air Force to Get at Least 50 New Strategic Tu-160 Blackjack Bombers 2015-05-29 00:21
- Chicago cops posed with black suspect wearing deer antlers 2015-05-28 13:40
A Latvian serviceman deceased after military exercises in Georgia2012-08-02 13:53
August 1, a corporal of the 1st infantry battalion of the armed forces of Latvia Janis Voitkevich deceased in Georgian hospital. This was reported by the DELFI referring to the Ministry of Defense of the Republic. According to the report of the portal, he has died "due to the effects of overheating".gt-en-newsitem-inside
Health of the serviceman deteriorated in late July, when he took part in the military exercises held in Georgia, where the NATO mountain military exercises took place. They were practicing the skills of operations in the mountainous areas: route planning, evacuation, etc.
In connection with illness the corporal was taken to the hospital in Gori. He was later flown to the U.S. military hospital in Germany. However, the doctors failed to save him.
Voitkevich served in the NAF since 2006; had awards for excellent service.
Latvian Defense Minister Artis Pabriks and the commander of the National Armed Forces Raimonds Graube have expressed their condolences to the relatives and colleagues of the deceased, the News-Georgia reported.
"Soldier of the National armed forces of Latvia gave his life, responsibly and courageously taking part in the operations of the allies and preparing for a new mission, new professional challenges. We will always be proud of his military biography, love to the native land and dedication", the head of state said.