- Mom jailed over refusing son's circumcision makes tough call 2015-05-29 11:56
- Kerry sued over Hillary Clinton’s emails 2015-05-29 09:42
- A Website That Lets You Spy On Millions of People 2015-05-29 02:18
- Social Revolution In Ireland: 62% of Irish Voters Say YES To Gay Marriage 2015-05-29 02:11
- Killer robots will leave humans ‘utterly defenceless’ warns professor 2015-05-29 00:35
- Russian Air Force to Get at Least 50 New Strategic Tu-160 Blackjack Bombers 2015-05-29 00:21
- Chicago cops posed with black suspect wearing deer antlers 2015-05-28 13:40
Solana and Ahtisaari may take Kofi Annan's post2012-08-09 11:34
The UN considers the former NATO Secretary General Javier Solana and ex-President of Finland Martti Ahtisaari as the candidates for the post of the leaving UN and the League of Arab States Special Envoy to Syria Kofi Annan.gt-en-newsitem-inside
The news about the resignation of Secretary-General Kofi Annan from the post of the UN and the League of Arab States Special Envoy to Syria appeared in the media last week. Annan's mandate expires on August 31. In the course of his speech in Geneva Kofi Annan declared that he had not received worthy support of his mission.
Recall, in the spring in Syria there was declared a truce in accordance with Kofi Annan's peace plan. However, the idea of the UN and the League of Arab States Special Envoy to Syria failed: new armed clashes broke out throughout the country.
Armed conflict between government forces and rebels in Syria broke out in March last year. According to the UN, about 16 thousand people have already become the victims of the clashes.