- Mom jailed over refusing son's circumcision makes tough call 2015-05-29 11:56
- Kerry sued over Hillary Clinton’s emails 2015-05-29 09:42
- A Website That Lets You Spy On Millions of People 2015-05-29 02:18
- Social Revolution In Ireland: 62% of Irish Voters Say YES To Gay Marriage 2015-05-29 02:11
- Killer robots will leave humans ‘utterly defenceless’ warns professor 2015-05-29 00:35
- Russian Air Force to Get at Least 50 New Strategic Tu-160 Blackjack Bombers 2015-05-29 00:21
- Chicago cops posed with black suspect wearing deer antlers 2015-05-28 13:40
Saakashvili was given 10 days to call a referendum2009-02-24 10:32
On February 23rd the team of Irakli Alasania, the New Rights party and the Republican party announced the establishment of the new political union, called the Alliance for Georgia.gt-en-newsitem-inside
The same day the press conference was held; Irakli Alasania claimed that since Mikheil Saakashvili is lacking political will to resign voluntarily he is given a 10-day term to call and hold a referendum to find out whether the voters want early presidential elections or not.
"After expiration of that deadline we will act together with our compatriots in a way as the country's interests dictate us," he added.
He promised that the union will start active actions and will conduct country-wide plebiscite.
In his view, the alliance will be a strong alternative to the present-day government, with the powerful support of the society it may overthrow the present-day regime and start a new stage in the history of Georgia's development.
The leaders of the Alliance noted that their union is built on the principles of high political responsibility, discipline and democracy; the experienced team will be able to make peace in the country, drive it out of crisis and lead in the way of democratic development.
Davit Usupashvilil, the leader of the Republican party, announced that Irakli Alasania will be the head of the alliance and the one candidate for the president at the early elections, whereas Usupashvilil himself and Davit Gamkrelidze, the New Rights leader, will be the co-chairmen of the Alliance.
The members of the union claimed they are ready to admit new members and urged all the opposition forces and society to join them.