- Mom jailed over refusing son's circumcision makes tough call 2015-05-29 11:56
- Kerry sued over Hillary Clinton’s emails 2015-05-29 09:42
- A Website That Lets You Spy On Millions of People 2015-05-29 02:18
- Social Revolution In Ireland: 62% of Irish Voters Say YES To Gay Marriage 2015-05-29 02:11
- Killer robots will leave humans ‘utterly defenceless’ warns professor 2015-05-29 00:35
- Russian Air Force to Get at Least 50 New Strategic Tu-160 Blackjack Bombers 2015-05-29 00:21
- Chicago cops posed with black suspect wearing deer antlers 2015-05-28 13:40
Georgian authorities are trying to put pressure on the Patriarch Ilia II2012-09-20 12:50
The head of the International Charitable Fund of the Georgian Orthodox Church Lasha Zhvania has stated about efforts of the Georgian government to put pressure on Patriarch Ilia II, the Argumenti reported. Previously, Patriarch Ilia II abolished the church holidays in the near future.gt-en-newsitem-inside
In an interview with the TV company "Maestro" Lasha Zhvania said that on Wednesday Ilia II issued a statement condemning the happenings in the prisons. Some time later he was visited by senior officials, including Deputy Defense Minister Data Akhalaia, brother of the Minister of Interior.
Zhvania stated this fact could be considered an attempt by the authorities to put pressure on Ilia II, which ended in vain. "Half an hour after their visit, the GOC issued a new statement condemning the incident and cancelling holiday the church holidays in the coming days", Lasha Zhvania said.
As recalled by the NEWSru, the head of the Georgian Orthodox Church, Catholicos-Patriarch of All Georgia Ilia II has called for creation of a special commission to examine the cases of torture and inhuman treatment of prisoners in the prison No 8 in Tbilisi.
"We condemn these actions and encourage the public to create an appropriate commission to investigate such facts and protect the rights of prisoners. We regret that such facts take place in Georgia", Catholicos-Patriarch said.