- Mom jailed over refusing son's circumcision makes tough call 2015-05-29 11:56
- Kerry sued over Hillary Clinton’s emails 2015-05-29 09:42
- A Website That Lets You Spy On Millions of People 2015-05-29 02:18
- Social Revolution In Ireland: 62% of Irish Voters Say YES To Gay Marriage 2015-05-29 02:11
- Killer robots will leave humans ‘utterly defenceless’ warns professor 2015-05-29 00:35
- Russian Air Force to Get at Least 50 New Strategic Tu-160 Blackjack Bombers 2015-05-29 00:21
- Chicago cops posed with black suspect wearing deer antlers 2015-05-28 13:40
Georgian Interior Minister has resigned2012-09-21 11:19
The head of the Ministry of Internal Affairs Bacho Akhalaia has resigned due to scandal that erupted after the scandal around torture of prisoners in the Tbilisi prison. According to the Interfax, Akhalaia resigned on Thursday evening. This was announced by the press service of the Georgian Interior Ministry.gt-en-newsitem-inside
"I do not lead the penitentiary system for a year, but some of its leaders were obliged to prevent such outrageous facts and started to work in the system under my leadership. Accordingly, I bear moral and political responsibility, so I have appealed to the president with a request on resignation", said in Akhalaia's statement on the web page of the department.
The new Minister of Corrections was appointed Eka Sguladze, which until now held the post of deputy head of the Interior Ministry.
Recall, previously, former Minister of Corrections, Probation and Legal Assistance of Georgia Khatuna Kalmakhelidze resigned in connection with the facts of the inhuman treatment of prisoners, revealed in Gldani prison in Tbilisi.
"I have taken this decision because I feel civil liability for what had happened in the prison", Kalmakhelidze stated on her page on the social network Facebook.
On Tuesday, the MIA of Georgia posted on its website some of the videos, with the caveat that this was the minimum part of the footage available to the investigation, since the other shots were not allowed for public viewing.
However, on the evening that day, the TV "Maestro" and "Channel Nine" showed the shocking footage of brutal beatings and rape in particular perverted form. The TV channels declared they had full video version of what was happening in the Gldani prison. TV channels reported that they had received it from one of the former prison officer, who was in Belgium to date.