- Mom jailed over refusing son's circumcision makes tough call 2015-05-29 11:56
- Kerry sued over Hillary Clinton’s emails 2015-05-29 09:42
- A Website That Lets You Spy On Millions of People 2015-05-29 02:18
- Social Revolution In Ireland: 62% of Irish Voters Say YES To Gay Marriage 2015-05-29 02:11
- Killer robots will leave humans ‘utterly defenceless’ warns professor 2015-05-29 00:35
- Russian Air Force to Get at Least 50 New Strategic Tu-160 Blackjack Bombers 2015-05-29 00:21
- Chicago cops posed with black suspect wearing deer antlers 2015-05-28 13:40
Mirzayev may be released2012-11-27 13:06
The court has found the athlete Rasul Mirzayev guilty in the death of the student Ivan Agafonov, but reclassified the charges to a lighter, the Lenta.ru reports. This was declared by the judge of the Zamoskvoretsky court of Moscow Andrey Fedin during the sentencing.gt-en-newsitem-inside
"The court has found that Mirzayev committed unintentionally causing death to Agafonov", the judge announced, noting that the guilt was "confirmed by the evidence studied during the investigation".
According to the judgment, the charges against Mirzayev were reclassified from the article "intentional infliction of serious bodily injury, resulting in the death of the victim" to "causing death by negligence", punishable by imprisonment or restraint of liberty for a term of 2 years.
According to the ITAR-TASS, the prosecutor asked the court to take into account the period the athletes has spent in jail, equating every day in the detention center to two days of imprisonment.
Mirzayev's lawyer Alexei Grebenskiy said that since his client had no previous convictions, according to this article, the court cannot assign a custodial sentence. Thus, the athlete may be released today, since he has spent in jail for over a year.
It is found that on August 15, 2011, 25-year-old world champion in mixed martial arts Mirzayev quarreled with 19-year-old college graduate Ivan Agafonov at nightclub. Mirzayev once hit Agafonov into the head, Agafonov fell and hit his head on the asphalt. With the help of friends, the victim was brought to the hospital, where he died a few days later.