- Mom jailed over refusing son's circumcision makes tough call 2015-05-29 11:56
- Kerry sued over Hillary Clinton’s emails 2015-05-29 09:42
- A Website That Lets You Spy On Millions of People 2015-05-29 02:18
- Social Revolution In Ireland: 62% of Irish Voters Say YES To Gay Marriage 2015-05-29 02:11
- Killer robots will leave humans ‘utterly defenceless’ warns professor 2015-05-29 00:35
- Russian Air Force to Get at Least 50 New Strategic Tu-160 Blackjack Bombers 2015-05-29 00:21
- Chicago cops posed with black suspect wearing deer antlers 2015-05-28 13:40
OSCE to finish its work in Georgia to June2009-03-12 17:50
Work of the OSCE in Tbilisi will be finished to June 2009, said Herbert Salber, head of the Conflict Prevention Centre of the OSCE, in the air of the Echo of Moscow.gt-en-newsitem-inside
OSCE proceeds from the consensus principle: all the decisions must be approved by all the participant countries. At the present moment there is no agreement on prolongation of work, and to the summer 2009 the OSCE activities in the region will be finished, Salber said.
According to Herbert Salber, the OSCE lost its representative office in Tskhinval because of the argument on the status of South Ossetia .
At the present moment monitoring of the situation in Caucasus in being conducted by 20 OSCE military monitors in the Georgian regions, bordering on South Ossetia, he said.
He mentioned that the OSCE monitors, as well as the EU ones, are to work in Georgia only and has no opportunity to work with South Ossetia directly.
The OSCE mission mandate in Georgia expired on January 1st 2009, and now it is being curtailed. The OSCE has been working in Georgia since 1992.
On December 22nd , at the OSCE Permanent Council, Russia refused to prolong the mission mandate, mentioning that the present-day mandate of the "Georgian mission" includes Abkhazian and South Ossetian components, and must be revised.
In August 2008 Moscow recognized independency of South Ossetia and Abkhazia; therefore from the point of view of the Russian legislation prolongation of the present-day mandate of the "Georgian mission" is illegal.