- Mom jailed over refusing son's circumcision makes tough call 2015-05-29 11:56
- Kerry sued over Hillary Clinton’s emails 2015-05-29 09:42
- A Website That Lets You Spy On Millions of People 2015-05-29 02:18
- Social Revolution In Ireland: 62% of Irish Voters Say YES To Gay Marriage 2015-05-29 02:11
- Killer robots will leave humans ‘utterly defenceless’ warns professor 2015-05-29 00:35
- Russian Air Force to Get at Least 50 New Strategic Tu-160 Blackjack Bombers 2015-05-29 00:21
- Chicago cops posed with black suspect wearing deer antlers 2015-05-28 13:40
Armenia takes Chairmanship of the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe2013-05-16 13:36
Today, on May 16, at the 123th meeting of the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe Chairmanship of the Committee of Ministers officially passes from Andorra to Armenia. On the eve, Armenian Foreign Minister Eduard Nalbandyan left for Strasbourg for this purpose, the Panorama.am reports.gt-en-newsitem-inside
During his visit, Nalbandyan has met with Secretary General of the Council of Europe Thorbjorn Jagland. At the meeting the parties emphasized that the Chairmanship of the Committee of Ministers is both a good opportunity and a challenge, as well as great responsibility.
As reported by the Aysor, the main objectives of Armenia's Chairmanship: the fight against racism and xenophobia; the spread of European values through dialogue among civilizations; strengthening the European human rights standards and the rule of law; strengthening of democratic societies; strengthening the role of the Council of Europe in the European structures.
The Council of Europe has two statutory bodies: the Parliamentary Assembly and the Committee of Ministers. The Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE) is aimed at promoting and protecting human rights, as well as achieving better cooperation through joint actions, agreements and debate. The Committee of Ministers comprising the foreign ministers of the member states is the governing body of the Council of Europe. Committee takes control of the execution of judgments of the European Court of Human Rights.