- Mom jailed over refusing son's circumcision makes tough call 2015-05-29 11:56
- Kerry sued over Hillary Clinton’s emails 2015-05-29 09:42
- A Website That Lets You Spy On Millions of People 2015-05-29 02:18
- Social Revolution In Ireland: 62% of Irish Voters Say YES To Gay Marriage 2015-05-29 02:11
- Killer robots will leave humans ‘utterly defenceless’ warns professor 2015-05-29 00:35
- Russian Air Force to Get at Least 50 New Strategic Tu-160 Blackjack Bombers 2015-05-29 00:21
- Chicago cops posed with black suspect wearing deer antlers 2015-05-28 13:40
New Permanent Representative of Georgia to the UN granted credentials to Ban Ki-moon2009-03-18 10:44
Alexander Lomaya, the new Permanent Representative of Georgia to the UN, granted credentials to the Secretary General Ban Ki-moon - RIA Novosti.gt-en-newsitem-inside
Lomaya arrived in New York in early February and attended (without the right to vote) at the UN Security Council held on February 13th , at which the UN observers' mandate in Georgia and Abkhazia was prolonged on four months.
45-year old Lomaya is considered to be close to President Mikheil Saakashvili. Since early 2007 he occupied the position of the Security Council Secretary, and was appointed the Permanent Representative to the UN after a scandalous resignation of his predecessor Irakli Alasania, who left the position voluntarily and on return to Tbilisi joined the opposition. In 2004-2007 lomaya was the Minister of Education and Science, in 2003-2004, before the Rose Revolution and during this event was working the CEO of the Georgian affiliate of George Soros' Open Society foundation.
The first diplomatic experience Lomaya gained in the Soviet times - since March to July 1991 he was the Deputy Plenipotentiary Representative of Georgia in Russia, up to September 1991 headed Plenipotentiary's office of Georgia in Moscow. He is educated as an engineer, in 1985 he graduated from the department of hydraulic and sanitary engineering of the Georgian Politechnical Institute, in 1992, when his career of the Plenipotentiary Representative in Moscow was finished, completed the post-graduation courses of the Moscow Institute for Engineering and Construction.