- Mom jailed over refusing son's circumcision makes tough call 2015-05-29 11:56
- Kerry sued over Hillary Clinton’s emails 2015-05-29 09:42
- A Website That Lets You Spy On Millions of People 2015-05-29 02:18
- Social Revolution In Ireland: 62% of Irish Voters Say YES To Gay Marriage 2015-05-29 02:11
- Killer robots will leave humans ‘utterly defenceless’ warns professor 2015-05-29 00:35
- Russian Air Force to Get at Least 50 New Strategic Tu-160 Blackjack Bombers 2015-05-29 00:21
- Chicago cops posed with black suspect wearing deer antlers 2015-05-28 13:40
EU will not recognize the independency of Abkhazia but is ready to render assistance2009-03-18 15:20
The EU will not recognize the sovereignty of Abkhazia but is ready to render it assistance in humanitarian projects implementation, stated Peter Semneby after the meeting with Sergey Bagapsh, the leader of Abkhazia, held in Sokhumi - Interfax.gt-en-newsitem-inside
Semneby noted that the EU and representatives of Abkhazia has different opinions about the status of the latter, but as well they have a number of common fields they cooperated in previously and will be able to co-work in the future to improve life conditions for the people living in the republic.
According to Semneby, in the course of their meeting they touched upon the issues of the EU's future attitude to Abkhazia and the humanitarian projects it can finance.
The EU special envoy highlighted that the leader of Abkhazia touched upon the visa problem - the one people in Abkhazia face when organizing trips to the EU countries. Semneby stated that it may happen due to some formalities, but doesn't mean the EU imposes sanctions on the EU.
He stated willingness to gather more detailed information on the issue since it disturbs the Abkhazian side so much.
The EU special envoy reported that in the course of his planned meeting with Ruslan Kishmaria, the Plenipotentiary Representative in Gali district, he intends to discuss the situation in the bordering district, and the projects on healthcare, education development and infrastructure restoration.