- Mom jailed over refusing son's circumcision makes tough call 2015-05-29 11:56
- Kerry sued over Hillary Clinton’s emails 2015-05-29 09:42
- A Website That Lets You Spy On Millions of People 2015-05-29 02:18
- Social Revolution In Ireland: 62% of Irish Voters Say YES To Gay Marriage 2015-05-29 02:11
- Killer robots will leave humans ‘utterly defenceless’ warns professor 2015-05-29 00:35
- Russian Air Force to Get at Least 50 New Strategic Tu-160 Blackjack Bombers 2015-05-29 00:21
- Chicago cops posed with black suspect wearing deer antlers 2015-05-28 13:40
George Bush Ranks Above Stalin And Genghis Khan In World’s Most Hated People2015-05-25 23:08
As an historical figure, George W. Bush is worse than Joseph Stalin and Genghis Khan, but he’s better than Saddam Hussein, Osama bin Laden and Adolf Hitler, at least according to a poll by the Daily Mail.
In a poll of nearly 7,000 college students from 37 countries, the students ranked famous figures according to heroes and villains. The students ranked Albert Einstein as the top heroic figure, followed by Mother Theresa, Mahatma Gandhi, Martin Luther King and Isaac Newton. Jesus Christ took the number six spot.
Even though this poll was done of relatively educated people across the globe, it shows how little historical perspective people have. It also seems skewed toward the West, at least on the heroic side. With Eastern cultures, it seems, with few exceptions, we only know about the villains.And while it’s true that George W. Bush is responsible for a lot of deaths and should probably be on this list somewhere, even the half million plus casualties of his wars dwarf the atrocities of Stalin and Genghis Khan.
Stalin is estimated to have killed 10s of millions of his own people. Genghis Khan wiped out 10% of the world’s population. Yes, George W. Bush is a bad man, but even he isn’t that bad – now if Dick Cheney were actually President (kidding, sort of).
Perhaps the significance of Bush being on the list isn’t as much about the number of people who died during his unjust wars or even about the fact that he’s a modern historical figure. Perhaps what’s most significant about him is that he’s despised the world over.
Americans: In Obama we don't trust